Missionaries are the true heroes of today - men, women and children who have surrendered all and determined to fulfill the Great Commission by carrying the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ to the farthest corners of the globe.

(DISCLAIMER: I am a member of an Independent, Fundamental KJV-preaching, soul-winning Baptist Church in Lubbock, Texas. However, this blog is my own creation and is not a ministry of Bethany Baptist Church. Missionaries featured in this space may or may not be supported by my church. Inclusion in this list does not imply any affiliation with Bethany Baptist Church, nor does it offer any extra "in" for a missionary to present his work at our church. Inviting a missionary to our church is not my decision, but my Pastor's. I'm sorry to have to include this, but don't want to have any misunderstandings to come out of what is intended to be a blessing.)

Sunday, December 11, 2011

Meet the Swahili Sis!!

I am so exited to introduce you to Miss Lisa Newland and her blog "Swahili Sis:" http://swahilisis.blogspot.com/. (I know, I'm always excited, but this time is special!!)

Miss Lisa is one of a very rare breed today - a single female missionary. I have a special place in my heart for women like Miss Lisa, because as many of you know, my own wife, Nyla, served as a single missionary for many years before we met and married.

When we think about Independent Baptist missionaries, we can easily visualize a preacher, his wife and their children. The missionary (male) goes to the field to preach the Gospel, establish churches, teach converts and prepare native pastors for ministry. His wife assists in the ministry, but her main job is often to stay home, homeschool the children and provide a stable place for her husband's ministry to grow.

A single woman who goes to the mission field has far greater challenges - she cannot preach, so she is not going to establish churches. She is going to assist pastors and pastors wives in their ministries. Consequently, churches may not be as willing to take her on for support, and it's also harder to get invitations to present her ministry in the first place. This means she may have to go to the field and get by with less support than she really needs.

That's why when I encountered Miss Lisa on Facebook, I immediately wanted to friend her and learn about her ministry, and that's why I am so excited to share her ministry with you all.

Please read "Swahili Sis" and keep track of what this woman of God is doing. She is working in Tanzania with Bro. Greg Wagoner and his wife, Mrs. Paige Wagoner.

Please keep Miss Lisa and all other single woman missionaries in your special thoughts and prayers as they labor to serve the Lord as He has called them.

God bless all of you as we support world missions together.

Bro. Garry

No comments:

Post a Comment